History of St Agnes Mission
Catholics of Woodmont were the responsibility of Milford pastors during the early 20th century. A chapel, initially was to be named for the Sacred Heart, was erected by the pastor of St. Mary, Milford, in 1906. With a hefty Catholic population center now concentrated in Woodmont, Archbishop Henry J. O’Brien raised St. Agnes from mission to parish status on July 8, 1954, with Father John R. O’Connor appointed as first pastor. The vacant Woodmont Country Club building was purchased for $1800. Parishioners donated their own labor to refit the edifice as a parish hall. The following year, the parish decided to build a new church. Upon completion, the new church was dedicated in May, 1960.